EARTH EDUCATION COUNSELOR | Summer 2021
Terra Marin School is a progressive TK-8th grade school that seeks to constructively and positively contribute to the personal and intellectual growth of our students. We are committed to providing our students with a challenging and innovative curriculum in a collaborative and supportive community.
This summer, our earth discovery camps has attracted naturalists and earth educators from around the country. However, the camps have grown bigger than expected and we are inviting local counselors and junior counselors-in-training to work side by side with our world-class earth education counselors.
Our Faculty and Staff are the heart of our community. Staff will mirror and model the core values of our school by fostering their own curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue, and good humor.
TMS Fast Facts:
Independent, co-educational school
Unique to our Program: One day or five days a week, students and teachers will spend outdoors in nature that is led by an Earth Education Counselor.
Terra Marin School Earth Education Department is looking for bright, enthusiastic, and dedicated earth instructors who are interested in either short (winter, spring or summer breaks) or long-term (year-round) mentoring of youth in nature. Currently we are seeking to fill the following position:
Counselors for 1 week of Mid-Winter Camp (Feb 15-19, 2021)
Counselors for 1 week of Spring Break Camp (April 5-9, 2021)
Counselors for the remainder of the School Year (January 4- June 8, 2021)
Counselors for 1 week of training and 9 weeks of summer camp. Summer training begins June 7th and camps begin June 14, 2021 to August 13, 2021
Locations - Earth Educators will mentor in one of three locations:
Marin County: Phoenix Lake, McNears Beach, Lake Lagunitas, Fairfax, Muir Woods, Stinson Beach or Samuel P. Taylor State Park
San Francisco: Presidio, Golden Gate Park, Glen Canyon Park , Crissy Field, Baker Beach, Thornton State Beach
or Peninsula: Huddart County Park, Edgewood Park & Natural Preserve in Redwood City, Pescadero State Beach, Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve in Half Moon Bay
Hours: (8:30 am - 2 pm for ages 3-5) (8:30 am – 4:30 pm for ages 5-17)
Co-instruct 12-16 students. May be assigned to one of the following grades: PK, K, 1/2, 3/4. 5. 6,7,8th, (based on enrollment, 1-2 grade may be combined)
Oversee safety and instruction for youth during weekly nature programs. Lead youth on strenuous hikes and activities. Work with additional instructors to plan and implement programs. Mentor assistant instructors during programs and planning. Develop weekly lesson plans in cooperation with other staff for outdoor activities. Communicate with parents (email, phone calls, in-person, before/after programs) on a weekly basis. Assist with organization, planning, and pre/post camping trip duties (packing, clean-up, etc.)
*Experience mentoring youth in nature.
*B.A., B.S., (or equivalent experience) a plus.
*Experience with nature-connection mentoring skills such as Art of Mentoring, Coyote’s Guide, Kamana Naturalist Training Program or similar place-based nature connection mentoring programs preferred.
*Knowledge and skills with hands-on wildcrafting or survival skills, tracking, mapping, hazards of the region, bird language, and local flora and fauna identification desired.
*Applicant must have good communication skills with parents and youth, excellent organizational skills, and professionalism.
*Strong group management and safety skills required.
*1st Aid/CPR certified a plus
Oversee safety and instruction for youth during weekly nature programs. Lead youth on mild to strenuous hikes and activities. Work with additional instructors to plan and implement programs. Mentor assistant instructors during programs and planning. Develop weekly lesson plans in cooperation with other staff for outdoor activities. Communicate with parents (email, phone calls, in-person, before/after programs) on a weekly basis. Assist with organization, planning, and pre/post camping trip duties (packing, clean-up, etc.)
The applicant must have good communication skills with parents and youth, excellent organizational skills, and professionalism. Strong group management and safety skills required. 1st Aid/CPR certification required (Terra School’s will help you get certified if not already).
The Earth Educator will be expected to perform the tasks and duties listed below:
- Arrive punctually at 8:30 am and stay until 4:30 pm (except for counselors 3-5 year old) every working Friday (some exceptions may apply. Please contact your supervisor to make arrangements for early departure/late arrival or days off)
- Utilize you and your cohort's planning hours to whatever extent necessary in preparation for the following class day, such as for planning calls or materials runs
- Tend to student first aid needs
- Calling 911 or transporting students to the nearest medical facility if a first-aid need is beyond the skill level of the Earth Educators on-site
- Any necessary pre or post-program parent and/or staff communication (i.e. an email sent to parents in preparation for a beach day)
- Communicate with and greet parents during drop off and pick up to pass along any important student-related information, such as informing them that their child went through poison oak and should follow up with a poison oak wash.
- Help resolve conflict that might arise between students or ask for assistance from your supervisor(s) if the level of conflict feels beyond the skill level of yourself and/or the other Earth Educators
- Instruct/teach/present Earth Education skills, games and activities and help engage the students in a meaningful connection to nature
- Model engagement as often as possible and minimize conversations and behavior that would take students out of the element (i.e. cell phone use or talking to co-workers about mortgage issues)
- Communicate clearly and efficiently with your cohorts and/or supervisors any personal needs that might prevent you from showing up fully (i.e. if your cat died the morning of the program and you might need periodic alone time throughout the day)
- Attend and instruct campouts (see calendar)
- Remember to drink water :)
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: Wendy Xa, Head of School at email@example.com